In 1853, a group of 40 Swedish immigrants founded Geneva Lutheran Church, at that time called Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. Three years later, in 1856, the congregation built its first church on the corner of Fourth and State Streets. Within 50 years, the congregation had grown so much that a new sanctuary had to be rebuilt on that spot. This new sanctuary seated 300 and had a tall, 117 foot spire.
Our current Third Street building was finished December 1956. We have remained on the corner of Third and Franklin for over sixty years now. In 1968, we added our Bell Tower, and then in 1984, we added a pipe organ, nursery, classroom space, and fellowship hall. Our building was updated in 1992 to become handicap accessible and remains so to this day.
In 2003, Geneva Lutheran Church observed its sesquicentennial, celebrating 150 years of serving Christ in the heart of the Geneva community. We look forward to many more years in our community!